Trinamool MP Abhishek Banerjee kicked off a football tournament in his constituency Diamond Harbour in West Bengal’s South 24 Parganas district on Friday.
The tournament, named ‘Diamond Harbour MP Cup’ — organised with Mr Banerjee’s MP LAD funds, will be held over 20 days in 11 grounds across seven assembly segments in the Lok Sabha constituency.
“No TMC, CPI(M), BJP or Congress — we are all football lovers. We are here to foster the spirit of brotherhood, amity, fraternity and camaraderie. Enjoy the beautiful game for the next 20 days,” he said, inaugurating the tournament.
The tournament has 128 participating teams and the final will be held on January 1.
“If anyone tries to whip differences among the people, he will be rebuffed by you all,” Mr Banerjee told the spectators.
The inaugural match was played between Diamond Harbour XI and Falta XI. While former Union minister Babul Supriyo led Diamond Harbour XI, West Bengal’s Minister of State for Sports and cricketer Manoj Tiwary was the captain of the other team.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
- Killing Of Bihar Workers In J&K “Matter Of Serious Concern”: Nitish Kumar
- “No Jobs In Bihar”: Opposition Targets Nitish Kumar On Kashmir Killings
- 3 Arrested For Blackmailing Man With Bathing Video: Mumbai Police
- “No One Is Safe”: Priyanka Gandhi Slams UP Government Over Lawyer’s Murder
- Watch: Firm Claims “Non-Lethal” Trishul, Vajra Will Counter Chinese
(This Article has not been edited by NEWSUP18 and it is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)